New Orleans – host to the 2010 NFDA International Convention & Expo, October 10-13 – is a little corner of the American South where European traditions blend with Caribbean influences, the history is as colorful as the architecture and the food is the stuff of legend.
While you're in New Orleans, take a trip back in time with a ride on one of the city's famous streetcars.
The Canal Streetcar Line
For more than two centuries, Canal Street has been a vital thoroughfare for New Orleanians. Mule-driven carriages served as the first form of public transit down Canal Street in the 1860s, with electric streetcars dominating the line by the l890s. By 1910, streetcars were running the length of Canal Street and beyond, into the growing suburbs. But as the years went on, buses slowly replaced streetcars on most lines and, in May of 1964, streetcars were completely removed from Canal Street.
After an absence of some forty years the streetcars were returned to Canal Street and the line now runs nearly six miles, from the River to City Park Avenue and the Cemeteries, with a spur at Carrollton Avenue where you can proceed up North Carrollton to Beauregard Circle, the Bayou St. John and the park entrance.
The Canal Streetcar line is expected to carry more than 31,000 riders each day by 2015, bringing local residents to work and play downtown, and tourists to the many shops, restaurants, art galleries and entertainment venues in historic Mid-City and the Park complex.
The Canal Streetcar line includes a fleet of 24 new cars which were constructed by a special team of RTA blacksmiths, carpenters, electricians and mechanics. The streetcars' design resembles the original Perley Thomas models, which are still in use on the St. Charles line.
The St. Charles Avenue Streetcar
A ride along St. Charles Avenue is a journey into the history of New Orleans. In 1835, the New Orleans and Carrollton Railroad began operation of the St. Charles Streetcar line, then called the Carrollton line. Steam-powered cars traveled from Canal Street through several "fabourgs" (suburbs) in the resort town of Carrollton.
Shortly after the Civil War, ex-Confederate General P.G.T. Beauregard leased the N.O. & R.R. and did away with the steam locomotives, reverting to horse power. The horse-drawn streetcars, though inefficient, gave a quieter citywide network of transportation. Horse-drawn streetcars lasted for more than 20 years, despite attempts to replace them with technology such as ammonia powered engines, steam dummy engines and electric batteries.
Finally, in 1893, the first cars that used overhead electricity went into operation. The new electric cars were built by the St. Louis Car Company, and a gala celebration marked the installation of the new system, one that continues to serve the line today. The St. Charles Avenue line was named into the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, the line was declared a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark.
The Riverfront Streetcar
This newest of the city's transit systems was inaugurated August 14, 1988. Long a dream of developers, business people and streetcar enthusiasts, the Riverfront streetcar was the first major capital project in New Orleans to combine the resources of the City's public and private sectors.
The concept was to develop 1.5 miles of the existing Public Belt Railroad corridor. The new line tied together the commercial developments in the Warehouse District, a legacy of the 1984 World's Fair, to the developments along with riverfront in the French Quarter and Faubourg Marigny.
Within months of the line opening, it was evident that demand far exceeded capacity. In order to handle the crowds of locals, conventioneers and other visitors, the Transit Authority approved the extension of the line another half mile and the addition of three more streetcars to the line, bringing the total Riverfront fleet to seven streetcars.
Today, the Riverfront line is a major attraction to visitors who want to enjoy shopping in the French Market and the many shops along riverfront. In addition, the line serves the Aquarium of the Americas, the huge Hilton complex, the Riverwalk Shopping Center and the Ernest M. Morial Convention Center.
A Buck Twenty-Five
That's all it costs to ride the Canal, Riverfront and St. Charles Avenue streetcars. A bargain, for sure!
Article courtesy of the New Orleans Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau. 2020 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70130. 504-566-5019. www.neworleanscvb.com.
|Events||Education||Member Benefits||About NFDA|
|NFDA Event Calendar
NFDA International Convention & Expo
Asia Funeral and Cemetery Expo & Conference
NFDA Advocacy Summit
NFDA Professional Women's Conference
NFDA Business Conference
NFDA Leadership Conference
NFDA Meet the Mentors
CANA & NFDA Cremation Symposium
All Funeral Service Events
Certified Preplanning Consultant Program
Certified Crematory Operator Program
Careers in Funeral Service
Licensing Boards & Requirements
All Member Benefits
NFDA Public Policy Positions
NFDA Executive Board
Governance & Structure
Code of Professional Conduct
Research & Information
Find a Funeral Home